Most times when you hear the word self-care you think about face masks and bubble baths. While both of those things are forms of self-care and great ways to decompress, there are many other ways you can care for yourself and not all of them require physical things.
I believe that it is important to take care of yourself in order to take care of and be present for others. For a lot of us we are constantly putting others first and ourselves on the back-burner. Whether it be in your career, at home, in the community, etc. We often don’t realize how much time we are spending on others and we often forget about ourselves. Self-care is so important to our mental and physical well-being and will often lead to making us happier.
Here are some ways to practice self-care in the new year:
- Read a book. Not for work or school, but for (dare I say it) fun.
- Focus on single-tasking. We live in a world where we are multi-tasking all the time. But in reality we are less focused on each task when we are doing multiple things at once. Focusing on one task at a time will help you be more mindful.
- De-clutter your space. Get rid of things you don’t need. Create a space you truly love.
- Go to bed earlier. Forget about your messy house, deadlines, and social obligations and truly get a good night’s rest.
- Unplug. Take some time away from in TV, internet, and social media and just enjoy some quiet time with yourself and loved ones.
- Eat well. Nourish your body with foods that make you feel good.
- Move. Go for a walk, attend a yoga class. Whatever it is just get moving, your body will thank you.
- Focus on experiences, not things. Experiences will mean so much to you that material things in the long run.
- Have some alone time. Even it is only for an hour a week, taking time for yourself away from everyone is so important for your mental and emotional health.
- Create something you love. Tackle a craft or DIY project, make a great meal, style a pretty bouquet, etc. Whatever it is, make it all about you.
I am really going to try and focus on self-care in the new year. I am constantly busy and worrying about work, deadlines, emails, etc. that I don’t do a lot to focus on what I need. I’ve created a vision board to help me visualize things that make me happy and to help me focus on them in 2018.
Love, Samantha Marie